Companies such as Identity Lookout, Lifelock and Trusted ID are examples of Identity Theft Protection Services whose goal is to protect your identity and prevent it from being stolen. Though ID Protection Services do not guaranty 100% protection, however these companies aim that the public feel a sense of security that their identity will not be stolen. And if your identity ever gets stolen, Protection companies will be the one to repair the damages done. This means instead of spending your own money dealing with your stolen identity, Identity Fraud Protection Services will be the one to do this for you.
Some of the Identity Theft Protection Companies to choose from:
· Identity Lookout – Offer credit monitoring with will email you alerts of key changes made to your credit reports, possibly alerting you to any suspicious activity. Protection for your Credit, Debit and ATM cards as well as Fraud Resolution Assistance. They also offer a $1 million product guarantee.
· Lifelock – provides a solid identity protection service which can help prevent personal details from being stolen or used by identity thieves. Lifelock also has Total Service Guarantee that helps in covering the cost in the event that the identity is stolen. It covers up to $1 million potential legal fees, debt and charges that run up fraudulently.
· Equifax – one of the main credit reference agencies, (alongside Experian and TransUnion). Equifax also offers identity theft protection services like Credit Watch – automatically monitors your credit file and alerts you if any application for credit, or changes to existing information have been made, and also guides you through reporting and changing any erroneous or fraudulent entries.
· ID Watchdog – unlike other Identity Theft Protection companies, ID Watchdog does not offer a limited $1 million insurance policy against Identity Theft. Instead, ID Watchdog provides unlimited help for victims of Identity Theft to recover their losses and regain control of their identity.
· TrustedID – one of the cheaper services available. However, offers solid and reliable identity protection packages and has been recommended by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for its positive customer services feedback.
· Identity Guard – provides extensive personal data scanning and monitoring. For an additional layer of protection, Identity Guard will also scan known data trading websites and alert you immediately if any of your personal or financial details are published online, such as your credit card and bank account details or your Social Security Number.
Identity Theft Protection Services available mostly provide the same services but it boils on Security, Reputation, Recovery, Customer Service and Cost.
- Security – Identity Fraud Protection should be able to monitoring fraud and provide alerts.
- Reputation – the reputable ID Protection companies are better to work with than newer ones. Mainly because, these companies have been around and have a larger customer base. On the consumer stand point, this quantifies that the Identity Theft Protection Company has more money thus when their client’s identity gets stolen, the company has necessary resources in order to recover your credit.
- Recovery – These companies should have immediate actions taken to recover stolen identity. They should work hand in hand with the consumer and help dispute unauthorized transactions.
- Customer Service and Cost – It is a must that they offer quality customer service, an immediate response that equates to over-all consumer satisfaction. Not to forget that the services being offered should be worth paying for.